History of Our Fire Department

Origins


The Fuquay-Varina Fire Department was organized in 1925, with W. Lee Rowland serving as its first Chief. Mr. Rowland served as City Fire Department Chief until his retirement in 1963. Clifton Keith became Chief of the City Fire Department in 1963 and held this position until 1972.

First Fire Chiefs


The Fuquay-Varina Rural Fire Department was formed in 1954 by The Farm Bureau of Fuquay-Varina, with Thomas J Bridges serving as night Chief, and Edsel E Fuquay serving as day Chief. Mr. Fuquay served until 1956 and Mr. Bridges served until 1959. Mr. Errol Coley served as rural Chief from 1960 until 1964.

Mr. Durwood Stephenson served as rural Fire Chief in 1965. Equipment was kept anywhere space was available up until 1965 when the Fuquay-Varina Rural Fire Department completed construction of a two bay fire station. This new station was dedicated to the memory of Chief Thomas J. Bridges on January 23, 1966. Mr. Edward Schmelzer served as rural Fire Chief from 1966 until 1970. Mr. Charles Sauls served as rural Fire Chief in 1971.

Rural Fire Department


The Fuquay-Varina City Fire Department and The Fuquay-Varina Rural Fire Department merged in 1972 and was known as The Fuquay-Varina Rural Fire Department. The Town of Fuquay-Varina contracted with the Fuquay-Varina Rural Fire Department to provide coverage for the Town of Fuquay-Varina. Mr. Wayne Wortham served as the first Fire Chief of the merged departments. His term was from 1972-1973.

Timeline


The Following is a list of Chiefs and years served for the Fuquay-Varina Fire Departments:
  • 1925 - 63 - Lee Rowland / City Fire Chief
  • 1953 - 56 - Edsel Fuquay / Rural Fire Chief (Day Time)
  • 1953 - 59 - Thomas Bridges / Rural Fire Chief (Night Time)
  • 1960 - 64 - Errol Coley / Rural Fire Chief
  • 1963 - 72 - Clifton Keith / City Fire Chief
  • 1965 - Durwood Stephenson / Rural Fire Chief
  • 1966 - 70 - Ed Schmelzer / Rural Fire Chief
  • 1971 - Charles Sauls / Rural Fire Chief
  • 1972 - 73 - Wayne Wortham (City and Rural Fire Depts. Merged)
  • 1973 - 74 - James Mauldin (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1975 - 76 - Douglas Knott (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1977 - 78 - Ed Schmelzer (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1978 - Fire Department moved into the 301 S Fuquay Avenue building.
  • 1979 - 80 - Johnny Jones (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1981 - Charles Sauls (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1982 - 83 - Edward Schmelzer (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1984 - T.C. O'Connell (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1985 - James Mauldin / Charles Sauls (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1986 - 87 - David Markle (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1988 - 89 - Johnny Jones (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1989 - 90 - David Markle (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1990 - Station No. 2 was opened on Hilltop Road
  • 1991 - 92 - David Markle / Buddy Walters (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1992 - 95 - Johnny Jones (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1995 - 98 - Mark Randall (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1998 - 99 - Ken Farmer (City and Rural Fire Chief)
  • 1999 - Fuquay-Varina Rural Fire Department merged with the Town of Fuquay-Varina. The County now contracts with the Town for coverage of the rural areas.
  • 1999 - 2001 - Mark Melvin (Fire Chief)
  • 2002 - Station No. 3 was opened to better serve our citizens in Willow Springs.
  • 2002 - Present - Anthony "Tony" Mauldin (Fire Chief)
Old Fire Picture
Old Fire Truck Picture
Old Downtown Fire Picture
Old Fire Truck