Surplus Property

The Town of Fuquay-Varina disposes of surplus equipment through the move advantageous method the Town deems best. Surplus includes personal property and salvage/scrap metal that is no longer required by Town departments. 

Surplus equipment typically includes cars, trucks, heavy equipment, furniture, and miscellaneous small items.

The Town sells the majority of such equipment through two online auction companies:

The Town sells firetrucks through Brindlee Mountain.

Rules for Auctions & Public Sale of Town Property

Sale of Town Surplus

  • Surplus property offered through public sale must be paid for as directed by the Town designated auctioneer. The conduct of auction participants must be in accord with posted rules of the auction. The auctioneer shall have the authority to remove from the Town Auction Yard, any individual, or groups of individuals not conforming to posted auction rules or causing a public disturbance detrimental to the conduct of the auction.
  • Any purchased surplus property must be removed by the buyer within the time stipulated by the auctioneer. Items will not be transferred to the buyer until the Town or its agent has received full payment.
  • Sale of Town surplus personal property will provide for pre-bid inspection, items are usually sold as is, where is, without warranty or guarantee of any kind and the person/firm buying the property is usually responsible for its removal and in a timely manner.
  • Sale of Town real property surplus is handled by the Town’s Administration.

Award of Sale

  • Award of sale is normally made to the bidder offering the highest revenue return to the Town for the surplus property and/or salvage (scrap) material; provided the amount bid represents a realistic market value.
  • The Town or its agent reserves the right to reject bids considered to be substantially below the used market value.

Found & Seized Property

Finance Department auctions typically do not include found and seized property, which is auctioned separately by the Police Department. Released unclaimed or seized property that has a judge’s order typically is sold through GovDeals.

Contact the Police Department’s property and evidence supervisor for more information.

Surplus Questions

If you have specific questions concerning surplus auctions, contact the primary point of contact listed on each item for auction.

Generic surplus questions may be directed to Lori Hobgood at