Become Part of Our Team Today!
We are seeking applicants who are interested in joining a 21st Century progressive and community-oriented police agency.
The Fuquay-Varina Police Department is looking for qualified, motivated men and women with a strong, professional work ethic, exceptional communication skills and who want to make a positive difference in our community. As a member of the Fuquay-Varina Police Department you will enjoy excellent benefits, competitive salary and a professional working environment.
Starting salary as of July 1, 2021 is $45,252 for applicants with BLET certification/no experience. Officers with experience may receive higher salary dependent upon years of service, training and overall experience in line with our career ladder program. A 5% increase will be given upon successful completion of the probationary period. Officers, depending on training, experience and education, may be hired at a Police Officer II, Master Officer or Corporal salary within the Department's Career Ladder Program.
There is also a new 2021 incentive bonus program effective July 1, 2021.
As well, in the FY 22 budget there is a pay study occurring to evaluate current salaries.
Recruitment incentives to be paid after successful completion of field training:
- Lateral Bonus for NC Certified Officers $1,000
- Military Bonus $1,000 (Honorable Discharge)
- Bilingual/Fluent in Foreign Language $1,000
- Languages and testing shall occur to determine if fluent in the languages
- Education Bonuses (one per applicant and the degree must be job related as approved by the Chief of Police in coordination with the Human Resources Department. The degree must be from an accredited college).
- Associate’s Degree $1,000 or
- Bachelor’s Degree $2,000 or
- Master’s Degree $2,500
If an applicant has a combination of any of the above criteria, they may receive no more than a bonus total of $5,500.Inquire for more information - Lt. Chris Gathman (919)552-1434 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other benefits for full-time Town of Fuquay-Varina Police Officers:
- Take Home Vehicle Plan for qualifying employees
- Cost of Living Increases (per approval by Town Board annually)
- Performance-Based Annual Increases (per approval by Town Board annually)
- Dry Cleaning of uniforms at no cost to employee
- Holiday bonus program
- Longevity bonus program
- Holiday pay program
- Career Ladder Advancement Program (increase of 5% at each step, depending on training, experience, education and tenure with agency)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Link to Human Resources Employee Benefits Summary: https://www.fuquay-varina.org/216/Employee-Benefits-Summary - The Town pays 100% of the cost of medical, dental, and vision insurance for full-time, regular employees.
- Training Opportunities
- Career Opportunities within several divisions for future career development to include the Patrol Services Division, the Criminal Investigations Division, and the Support Services Division. Specific work units/assignments include: Patrol, Traffic, K-9, Special Response Team (part-time), Honor Guard (part-time), Professional Standards, Training, Recruitment, Community Outreach, Narcotics/Vice, Investigations, and many opportunities to engage with our community! Field patrol officers also have the opportunity to patrol in various capacities beyond a patrol car or foot patrol, they may utilize police bikes, a Segway, UTV or electric bikes.
- Participate in a variety of community outreach events.
The Fuquay-Varina Police Department's minimum requirements for employment as a police officer are:
- High school graduate or equivalent with some college preferred
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Good moral character (as determined by an extensive background investigation)
- Not have been convicted of a felony or crime punishable by more than two year imprisonment or an offense involving moral turpitude as well as obtain clearance from NC. Criminal Justice Education Training and Standards Requirements
- Must possess a valid Driver's License
- Demonstrate employment stability
- Ability to work varied shifts
- Ability to deal with the public tactfully and firmly
- Citizenship/U.S. work authorization
- Pass an interview, a polygraph examination given by a licensed polygraph examiner, a psychological test, a drug screen and a medical examination.
Factors for Disqualification
Police Officer Applicants can be immediately rejected from further consideration for any one or combination of the following:
- Not a United States Citizen
- Not at least 20 years of age
- Is not a high school graduate or have passed the General Education Development Test indicating high school equivalency
- Any conviction of a felony.
- Any conviction of a crime for which the punishment could have been more than two (2) years.
- Conviction a crime or unlawful acts defined as Class B Misdemeanors within the preceding five year period prior to the date of application for employment.
- Conviction of one or more crimes or unlawful acts as defined as Class A Misdemeanors within the preceding four years. Examples: Assault on a Female, Assault on Government Officer, Violation of Domestic Violence Protective Order and Misdemeanor Larceny.
- Crimes or acts involving moral turpitude (anything done contrary to justice, honesty, modesty or good morals. It implies something immoral in itself, regardless of its being punishable by law).
- Traffic Violations - For a period of three years preceding application or any time after the date of application, having a driver's license revoked or suspended, or pleading guilty to, entering a plea of no contest to, or being convicted for a traffic offense which may result in the suspension or revocation of driving privileges.
- A DUI or DWI conviction within the past five (5) years. Any convictions over the five (5) year time frame will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Any involvement in the sale and/or distribution of illegal drugs. Prior usage of illegal drugs is evaluated for the extent of the use and how recent the usage has been. Use of "hard drugs" is grounds for automatic disqualification.
- Dishonorable discharge from any military service (less than honorable discharge will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Untruthfulness or the intentional withholding of information on any application, interview, polygraph examination or paperwork associated with the position.
- Deliberate inaccuracies or incomplete statements.
- Cheating on any examination, evaluation or testing associated with the position.
- Not meeting basic requirements with the position as defined by the Criminal Justice Education Training and Standards Commission.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
A completed Town of Fuquay-Varina employment application, Police Supplemental Application and F-3 (LE) Form must be received in the Town of Fuquay-Varina Human Resources Office. Resumes may be submitted in addition to but not in lieu of a completed employment application. Applications may be faxed, mailed or hand-delivered to the Town of Fuquay-Varina, Human Resources Department, 134 N. Main Street, Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526. Fax: (919) 552-7481
For more information
To contact the FVPD's Career Development Officer, contact Major Bob Adams at email@example.com or call (919) 552-1423 or Lt. Chris Gathman at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919)552-1434.