Special Event Request & Procedure
Who Needs a Special Event Permit?
- All businesses and organizations are required to obtain a Special Event Permit for any event that is not part of a business’ or organization’s daily activities.
- Any ABC Licensed businesses having an event outside of their ABC permitted areas.
- Any event which will need more parking than is available on-site.
- Any event that encroaches on Right-of-Way or has an adverse effect on traffic.
- Any event that uses required parking spaces for event space.
- Any event with three (3) of more food trucks.
- Any event using Town property including streets or sidewalks, whether temporarily closed or not.
- Any event with amplified sound.
*If your event does not require a special event permit, you still must abide by all applicable regulations.
Application for Special Event Permit: This application is to be used for any and all qualifying events.
How long does it take to process a Special Event Permit?
Applications are due 45 days before the intended event, but may not be submitted more than 6 months prior to the event.
Incomplete applications or inaccurate information may delay or prevent processing and review.
Submission of a request for an event does not guarantee approval by the Town. Approvals are based upon a variety of factors including but not limited to: Town resource availability and costs, impact upon the community and traffic, safety, compliance to local, state, and federal laws, compliance with the Town's Land Development Ordinance, time of packet submission, payment of fees, etc.
Events using Town property are required to secure an insurance policy for the event that includes the Town of Fuquay-Varina and all its agencies and departments as additional insured.
Evidence of Insurance will be required before final permit approval. Please provide a Certificate of Insurance, showing a minimum of $2,000,000 in Commercial General Liability Insurance and a Policy Endorsement which indemnifies and holds harmless the Town of Fuquay-Varina and all its agencies and departments. Please complete the Hold Harmless Agreement – Special Event form and have it notarized.
Some events may require a higher limit of insurance. The event organizers must purchase and maintain this insurance, providing coverage for the event with an insurance company authorized to do business in the State of North Carolina.
Use of Town Facilities
If the event organizer wishes to reserve space at a Town recreational facility or park, please contact the Fuquay-Varina Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources Department at (919) 552-1430 for facility availability and fee information. Fuquay-Varina Parks & Facility Rentals.
For information on reserving the Fuquay-Varina Arts Center, please contact them directly at (919) 567-3920. Fuquay-Varina Arts Center Rentals.
Not all Town facilities and locations are available for rental.
Site Plan/Route Map Sketch
Provide a detailed Site Plan sketch of the event. Include maps, outlines, or diagrams of the entire event venue including the names of all streets or areas that are part of the venue and the surrounding area. Include the following information (as applicable):
- Location of the event/activities on the property showing adjacent streets/roads and boundaries
- Location of temporary structures that will be used during the event. Must indicate size of temporary structures, distances between temporary structures and roads/parking
- Identify how each temporary structure will be used (type of vendor, food preparations, alcohol sales, amplified sound/stage, tents, portable toilets, etc.)
- Location of all food trucks. Show distances between food trucks and between food trucks and adjacent buildings (minimum of 10 feet)
- Identify location of cooking devices and open flames. Identify type of cooking fuel used (propane, electric, charcoal, catered, etc.)
- Location of all fencing, barricades, or other restrictions that will impair access to and from the event or property
- Location of all Police and Emergency Responders (if applicable)
- Identify all parking areas (include all handicap accessible areas)
- Identify alternate parking areas if event space includes use of any available parking (public parking areas may not be used as alternate parking)
- Identify the proposed locations for emergency access lanes (minimum 20 feet wide) throughout the event site
- Describe planned arrangements to resolve conflicts with people trying to reach businesses, their residences, places of worship and public facilities including public transportation
- Location of fire hydrants
- Location of first aid facilities
- Location of power sources/generators and fuel storage
- Location of any signage used for event
- Location of garbage receptacles, town trash bins, and recycle rollouts
- Event parking restrictions must be noted on site plan/route map
If the event includes the distribution of alcohol by a non-Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission (ABC) permitted organization or individual, a Special One-time Permit must be obtained from the ABC Commission.
If the event includes the distribution of alcohol beyond the normal boundaries of an ABC-permitted facility, an ABC Temporary Extension of Premises from the ABC Commission may be required. Additional ABC alcohol permit requirements are available on the NC ABC Commission website or by phone at (919) 779-0700.
Event organizers are responsible for all aspects of their alcohol permit and should ensure that patrons are in compliance with relevant policies.
Food Sales/Food Trucks
If the event includes the sale or preparation of food, a Wake County Temporary Food Establishment Permit from Wake County Environmental Services (WCES) may be required. The organizer is solely responsible for submitting applications on behalf of any food vendors they are allowing at their event.
All food trucks operating within the Fuquay-Varina town limits must obtain a Food Truck Permit. For more information about food truck permits and associated fees, please contact the Town of Fuquay-Varina Planning Department at (919) 552-1429.
All events that will utilize amplified sound as part of their event, require an Amplified Sound Permit. Please allow 45 days for processing, as these must be presented to and approved by the Town Board.
Amplified Sound Permit Application
Open-air tents exceeding 1800 square feet (800 square feet for enclosed tents) require a permit from the Fire Marshal’s Office prior to any event. Other temporary structures such as bounce houses exceeding 400 square feet, amusement rides, water slides, and stages may also require a permit from the Fuquay-Varina Fire Marshal’s Office prior to any event.
To apply for these permits, please fill out the Operational Fire Code Permit Application and the Permit Application for Temporary-Tent or Air Supported Structure and turn them into the Inspections Department along with the indicated fee.
For inspection appointments please contact the Fuquay-Varina Inspections Department at (919) 552-1433. For more information about the Fire Department’s requirements for Special Events, please contact the Fuquay-Varina Fire Marshal’s Office, email, or reference the Fuquay-Varina Fire Department Special Event Application Checklist.
Fire Extinguishers and Generators
All fire extinguishers shall be inspected and available for immediate use. Fire extinguishers are required for all cooking operations. All fire extinguisher locations are to be approved by the Fuquay-Varina Fire Marshal’s Office.
Generators and refueling operations shall be separated from tents and membrane structures by a minimum of 20 feet. Generators shall be isolated from the public by an approved means. Portable generators are not allowed in enclosed areas.
For more information about the Fire Department’s requirements for Special Events, please reference the Fuquay-Varina Fire Department Special Event Application Checklist or contact the Fuquay-Varina Fire Marshal’s Office directly through email or call 919-753-1014.
Off-Duty Officers and Traffic Control
Off-duty officers may be required by the Town for public safety concerns, security, crowd control, noise, traffic management, or any other law enforcement need as determined by the Chief of Police. To Hire an Officer for Your Event, contact the Police Department’s Special Events Coordinator, Chris Gathman, by phone at 919-552-1434 or by email.
Temporary event signage is to be removed within 24 hours following the event. Event signage that does not follow Town regulations will be removed. If the Special Event Application is approved including provided signage information, then no other Town signage permit will be required for the event.
- Banner Sign– No more than one (1) banner shall be permitted at one time.
- A banner shall be displayed for a maximum of 14 calendar days.
- A banner shall be no larger than 32 square feet and must be a minimum of ten (10) feet back from the curb or edge of pavement. Alternately, the banner may be affixed to the building for which the banner is intended.
- Off-Premise Signs– An Off-Premise Sign shall not exceed six (6) square feet and shall be no taller than 42 inches in height.
- An Off-Premise Sign shall be located five (5) feet back from the curb or ten (10) feet back from the edge of the pavement where no sidewalk exists.
- A maximum of eight (8) Off-Premise Signs are permitted from 5 pm Friday through 9 am Monday.
For additional information, please refer to the Town of Fuquay-Varina Land Development Ordinance: Article L Signs, §9-1556 Temporary Sign Standard.
Races require Police Department approval prior to submitting an Application for Special Event Permit. Please contact the Fuquay-Varina Police Department’s Special Events Coordinator, Chris Gathman, by phone at 919-552-1434 or by email.
Parades require Police Department approval prior to submitting an Application for Special Event Permit. Please contact the Fuquay-Varina Police Department’s Special Events Coordinator, Chris Gathman, by phone at 919-552-1434 or by email.
Parades, Picket Lines, and Group Demonstrations require completion of the Fuquay-Varina Police Department Permit for Parade, Picket Lines, and/or Group Demonstrations Form
For additional information, please refer to the Town of Fuquay-Varina Code of Ordinances: Part 6 Licensing and Regulation; Chapter 2 Street & Sidewalk Use & Regulation; Article C Parades & Demonstrations.