- Economic Development
- Business Resources
- Pre-Development Meetings
The purpose of a pre-development meeting is for people who are looking at locating a business here in Fuquay-Varina, developing a new business in an existing building, or developing a piece of property to have the opportunity to present your project to the Town Departments and receive feedback on the permits, processes, and costs associated with your proposal. For homeowners, a pre-development meeting might help you decide about adding on to your home, or for commercial developers, it might also include large subdivision to assist in your project costs analysis.
This meeting is preliminary and staff makes every attempt to identify all the important issues of your project. However, it is important to recognize that this meeting is preliminary and the feedback you receive is only as accurate as the information you provide.
Why is a Pre-Development Meeting Important?
- Helps you understand how Town planning, zoning, inspections, and development standards affects your project's design.
- Provides you an overview of the processes and timing of Town approvals and permits.
- Gives you an opportunity to meet the Town Departments who will be reviewing your project and ask development review process questions.
Which Town Departments Attend Pre-Development Meetings?Planning, Inspections, Engineering, Public Utilities, Fire Marshal, Economic Development
Prior to Pre-Development MeetingContact the Town's Planning Department (919) 552-1429 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least three weeks prior to your scheduled pre-development meeting date to allow the program areas to provide a more thorough and accurate assessment of the requirements and procedures applicable to your project.
Bring with you to the Pre-Development Meeting
- Site plans and/or drawing showing all existing and proposed structures, parking, and landscaping areas with dimensions to adjacent property lines and between structures. Street names and landmarks should be clearly identified and easily identifiable. An engineered drawing is not required but may be provided.
- Floor Plan (for new uses and change of use in an existing building)
- Elevations and proposed building materials, facade colors, etc.
- A Business Plan, detailing how the proposed business will function (Hours of operation, number of employees, etc)
What to Expect at a Pre-Development Meeting?When you are in this meeting, you will be introduced to representatives from all the Town Departments that will review your project once your application is submitted. Prior to submitting your building/inspection applications, you will be given an opportunity to present your project. Staff will then provide you with information on local development ordinances and regulations that apply or affect your proposal.
Note: The Town's Pre-Development Meetings are not intended for town staff to provide every detail associated with the site planning, engineering, architectural, landscaping, and safety aspects of your project. These meetings are offered as a tool to exchange preliminary project information. Town Staff will review the development process for your specific project, will offer recommendations on how best to proceed, and will outline the necessary steps including site plan review. The Pre-Development Review Team cannot participate in and are not responsible for undertaking any part of your project's site plans and construction drawings. These documents must be completed by a professionally licensed state of North Carolina Architect and/or Engineer.