134 N. Main Street, Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526
With more than three decades of experience as an elected official, William H. Harris has a keen understanding of local government, politics, and public service.
After growing up in Fuquay-Varina and graduating from Fuquay Consolidated High School, Bill earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration and a Masters Degree in Public Administration from North Carolina Central University.
While in office as a Town Commissioner, Bill has served two terms as Mayor Pro Tem, Chairman of the Law and Finance Committee, and is currently Chairman of the Public Works Committee. He has been an Adjunct Professor at Shaw University where he taught in the Public Administration Department. He has received numerous awards for his service to the public, most notably, the Outstanding Citizenship Award presented by the Fuquay-Varina Chamber of Commerce, the Political Service Award given by the Garner Road YMCA, and the Political Achievement Award presented by the National Pan-Hellenic Council of the Greater Raleigh Area.
In addition to his duties as a Commissioner, Bill was previously elected to the North Carolina League of Municipalities (NCLM) Board of Directors and served as Co-Chairman of the Tax and Finance Sub-Committee. In April 2023, Bill was elected by the membership of the North Carolina League of Municipalities to serve as President for the 2023-2024 cycle. In this capacity, Commissioner Harris presides at all business meetings of the League, appoints all League committees, and represents the NC League of Municipalities and its 500(+) member cities in business and legislative matters as necessary.
After more than 30-years of service and employment, Commissioner Harris retired in 2020 from the North Carolina Department of Human Services, where he concluded his career as a member of the Community Engagement and Empowerment Team.
Commissioner Harris is a member of First Baptist Church and has served in various roles, including Sunday School Teacher, Church Treasurer, and Chairman of the Deacon Board. He is a 32 Degree Mason and member of the Iota Iota Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.
Mr. Harris loves to play the trumpet and the game of golf. He and his wife Meta reside in Fuquay-Varina, where they’ve raised three children and are currently the proud grandparents of six beautiful grandchildren.
Board of Commissioners Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruiting, selecting, and hiring a Town Manager and recognizing the role of a professional manager to serve the governing board as a whole
- Establish the general framework under which the Town can meet the needs of the community
- Appoint a Town Attorney
- Set direction by clarifying the Town's mission and purposes and by setting goals for the short and long term
- Adopt policies and ordinances
- Engage in strategy development (annual retreat)
- Understand its own legal and ethical responsibilities
- Enhancing the Town's public image
- Provide citizens opportunities to respectfully comment on public issues
- Making sure that resources are adequate to serve the public and are used for their intended purposes
- Channeling communications appropriately to the Town Manager
- Expecting staff to make independent and objective recommendations
- January 1987 - Appointed by Town Board to serve out a 4-year term ending December 1987
- December 1987 - Elected to Town Board to serve out 2-years of a 4-year term
- December 1989 - Elected to Town Board to serve 4-year term
- December 1993 - Elected to Town Board to serve 4-year term
- December 1995 - Elected by Town Board as Mayor Pro-Tem for 2-year term
- December 1997 - Elected to Town Board to serve 4-year term
- December 2001 - Elected to Town Board to serve 4-year term
- December 2005 - Elected to Town Board to serve 4-year term
- December 2007 - Elected by Town Board as Mayor Pro-Tem for 2-year term
- February 2010 - Appointed by Town Board to serve out a 4-year term ending December 2011
- December 2011 - Elected to Town Board to serve 4-year term
- December 2015 - Elected to Town Board to serve 4-year term
- December 2019 - Elected to Town Board to serve 4-year term
Current Town Board of Commissioner Committees
- Public Works Committee
- Economic Development Committee
- North Carolina League of Municipalities President